Stratton House

Stratton
Moved from the near the town of Wastina, 7 miles south and 3 miles west

The Fred Stratton Home is the childhood home of Frank Stratton one of the founders of the Museum. It was moved to the site from a location nearby in Fort Rock where it was used as a storage shed. It was donated to the Museum by Venita Branch. Her daughter and son-in-law, Joan and Bud Radke, assisted in moving it. The house was originally constructed on the Stratton Homestead about six miles south of the museum.
The Land Office
(Widmer Cabin)

Land Office
Built between 1920-30
Moved from Bend

The Land Office is one of newest additions to the site.  This log structure is typical of the structures of the area and period.  It was rescued by the Fort Rock Historical Society from a development site on the outskirts of Bend where is was facing certain destruction.
Dr. Thom's Office
Dr Thom
Originally built in the town of Silver Lake n 1907, 16 miles south
This is the original office building used by the noteworthy pioneer doctor Dr. Thom. The office was located in Silver Lake and was rescued after it was scheduled to be burned. Dr. Thom was the only practicing physician in the entire area during the 1918 influenza epidemic, and he brought the whole valley thru that tenable time, only losing one patient.
Menkenmaier Log Cabin
Log Cabil
Built in 1910 at Butte Place, near Fremont, 4.5 miles west and 3.5 miles north

The Menkenmair Cabin is the only remaining log cabin in the valley. It has a rather tragic history. Once the home of George & Hazel Menkenmair and their two children, Beatrice and Boots.

it remained unoccupied for many years. Hazel was killed by a runaway accident while raking hay and George died of a fatal illness a short time later. The children were cared for by friendly neighbors. Young Boots became a professional rodeo rider and became quite well known, but was killed in a rodeo accident at an early age. Beatrice married a local rancher and moved into a home of her own. She gave permission to move her childhood home to Homestead Village.

Fort Rock Mercantile
Blacksmith
This is the newest addition to the Homestead Village, and was the original Fort Rock Mercantile where folks bought groceries and gas. It was donated to the museum in 2009.
Saint Bridget Catholic Church
(Originally the Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church)
Saint Rose
Built in 1918 in the town of Fleetwood, 11 miles east, 1 mile north
St. Rose Catholic Church was the only real church building in the whole valley during the homestead years. It was moved from its original location on a corner of the Godon Ranch, about twelve miles NE of Fort Rock Village. It was being vandalized and would now be a heap of rubble if it had not been rescued by the Fort Rock Valley Historical Society.
Boedigheimer House
Boedigheimer
Built in 1911 near Cougar Mountain, 8 miles east, 3 miles north

The Bodenheimer house was one of a few two story houses in the valley. It was built by a German carpenter. All his neighbors thought that he was a bachelor and wondered why he was building such a "large" house.

When it was completed, his wife and two children came over from the valley. She took one look at the house and the surrounding country-side and announced "I don't care how nice a house you built, I'm not living in this country!" and went back to the valley.

After selling his acreage & the house to his neighbors, the Websters, he also went back to the valley. His well built house is part of the Village Museum and is greatly admired.

Webster Cabin
Webster
Built between 1915-17 in the town fof Fort Rock, 5 miles east, 3 miles north

The Webster Cabin and the Dr. Thom Office were the first buildings that formed the base of the homestead museum. The cabin was the first home of Britt Webster and his wife.

It was originally located about ten miles NE of the museum site.

Belletable House
Belletable
Built between 1911-18 in the town of Fleetwood, 10.5 miles east, 1.25 miles north

The Belletable house is probably the largest ever built during the Homestead years. The Belletables were better off than most of the homesteaders and had several children. The house was used as the reception center until the new reception center was built. It was moved in from a location close to the church. The Belletables and the Godons were close neighbors.
Sunset School
School
Built in 1912, 6 miles east and 1.5 miles south

The Sunset School is the last free-standing public school from that era of the twenty that once dotted the Valley. It was moved into Fort Rock from its final location northeast of the museum about half way between the Derrick and Stingley ranches. It was first moved to Fort Rock where it served as the community church for several years. When the new church was built, it was donated to the Village Museum. It has been renovated and refurbished and a dedication ceremony was held during the 1998 Homesteaders Reunion weekend.

"RULES FOR TEACHERS"
Posted by a pioneer Board Of Education in 1872.

1. Teachers each day will fill lamps, clean chimneys.

2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day's session.

3. Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.

4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.

5. After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.

6. Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.

7. Every teacher should lay aside from each day pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society.

8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth intention, integrity and honesty.

9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.

The Homestead Village Museum Reception Center

Reception

The Reception Center was built from the volunteer labor of local residents. It houses modern rest rooms, a small gift shop and displays of artifacts from ancient times.

reception interior

 

Among the artifacts on exhibit barb-wire and ancient weaving.


barb-wire
weaving

 

Museum Buildings
  • Reception Center
  • Stratton House
  • The Land Office
    (Widmer Cabin)
  • Dr. Thom's Office
  • Menkenmaier Cabin
  • Fort Rock Mercantile
  • St Bridget Church
  • Boedigheimer House
  • Webster Cabin
  • Belletable House
  • Sunset School